Monday, February 28, 2011

Journal 2: NETS II - IV

Ferguson, H. (2010). Join the flock!. Learning and Leading with Technology, 37(8), Retrieved from http://www.iste.org/Libraries/Leading_and_Learning_Docs/June_July_2010_Join_the_Flock.sflb.ashx
Miller, S.M. (2010). Enhance your twitter experience. Leading and Learning With Technology, 37(8), Retrieved from http://www.iste.org/Libraries/Leading_and_Learning_Docs/June_July_2010_Join_the_Flock.sflb.ashx
Summary:
The first article focuses on informing the reader about how to navigate a new Twitter account. Ferguson uses the idea of a Personal Learning Network, or virtual community based on collaboration and communication about education, to frame her discussion. Although she seems enthusiastic about the uses of Twitter, her article did mention that Twitter takes time and commitment. Some people even have too much information for just one account. This is where I see a flaw in Twitter. The knowledge it can link you to is great, but the scope of all those links adds up fast and can be overwhelming. The second article does a better job of convincing the reader that Twitter is a useful tool in connecting with others. Something I liked about Miller is that she talked more about how to make the best of your Twitter experience through organization, rather than how to expose yourself to the world of Twitter like Ferguson discussed.

Question 1: Will I ever use Twitter in my classroom? How?
Honestly, I don’t think I would ever use Twitter in my classroom because I do not like the format/clarity of the actual “tweets,” the way it quickly turns into an overwhelming almost spam like queue of thoughts and the amount of time each child must spend checking for new “tweets.” If I did use it, it would probably only be to post links for my students.
Question 2: Can twitter be a useful resource in expanding knowledge about the world?
As the articles suggest, Twitter has more uses than it seems to at first. I think it is a great way to connect with people you would not have had the opportunity to talk with outside of the Twitter zone. I also think it is a wonderful way to share a mountain of knowledge about virtually any topic in a quick an easy way. The downside is: that mountain of knowledge seems to be an endlessly overwhelming climb.

No comments:

Post a Comment