Monday, February 14, 2011

Technology Self-Assessment: School 2.0

NETS III, IV, V

This is an assessment that I took online to determine my understanding of the NETS requirements before participating in a technology class.
I choose to investigate the NETS-T Module: Promote and Model Digital Citizenship and Responsibility because I feel that teaching students about cyber safety and how to use digital tools properly is the most valuable safety precaution that a teacher can take in the modern technological world. I followed a link that talked about teaching every student in the digital age, which led me to an online book that discussed new media in relation to brain and learning development for diverse learners. The chapter I focused on talked about impact of high standards and increased learner diversity on universal learning. It went on to discuss how modern communication technology can be used to reach out to every type of learner. Although this was not a new topic for me, I loved how the discussion tied in the Multiple Intelligences theory because it highlights the importance of looking at education as a multifaceted science. No child’s brain develops the same way as another and, therefore, it is foolish to expect that every child be held to the same type of standard. The individual, not the majority, should define standards. As such, the importance of developing new teaching methods and technological resources has become more apparent in recent years. Through these new tools, education is being transformed into an interconnected world of learning in which every child is able to glean information from others.

No comments:

Post a Comment